5 Easy Ways to Kickstart Your Road to Green Living
- Make a decision to change your way of living. And if you are not sure how, ask God. James 1:5 in the Message says, “If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it.” God will direct you on your path as he already knows your desire before you ask. I remember when I made a decision that I wanted to give up coffee and meat. I prayed. One day I bought some fried chicken and it didn’t agree with me, despite never having a problem with it previously. That was the last day I ate chicken.
- Start slow. Don’t give up or get discouraged. If you are trying to make a lifestyle change it will take some time. This is an adjustment. You didn’t get to the point in which you find yourself overnight, how can you truly expect to change for the better overnight?
- Switch one simple carbohydrate for a complex carbohydrate. If you like to eat a lot of pasta. Try to lessen the amount of pasta on your plate and increase the amount of vegetables you have instead. From there, you might be inclined to trade pasta altogether for a green alternative like spaghetti squash or zucchini. I found early this year when I changed my eating habits to include more real food (food that is grown and could conceivably come from the ground) I started to feel better. I had more energy, less digestive issues and I slept more soundly. It was amazing.
- Drink your greens. I love fresh, raw or cooked greens like the next hippie, but sometimes it’s nice to make a green smoothie which is great when I’m on the go.
- Toss toxic items and replace them with nontoxic items. Look at the cleaning products in your local health food store. Really look at the ingredient deck for anything that is a challenge to pronounce. There is always an equivalent green cleaning item that really works and is not harmful to you or your family.
UPDATE: I resumed eating meat in October 2015 due to health reasons and so far, so good!
One of my favorite recipes:
- my favorite protein powder, dōTERRA Trim Shake
- my favorite green powder or kale, spirulina and spinach, dōTERRA TerraGreen
- dōTERRA cinnamon essential oil
- natural peanut or almond butter
- water or coconut or almond milk
- organic Greek yogurt or coconut-based yogurt
- blend it all together and voila…you’ve got a green and very tasty smoothie!